Sunday, January 25, 2009

Inauguration


We didn’t end up going to the inauguration. It was 14 degrees. Bridger's brother went and watched it in one of the Smithsonian buildings. It was that cold on Friday and Saturday. Sunday and Monday were 32-36 degrees and much more tolerable. The days that were cold, it was okay because you were moving, but I didn’t think the kids could tolerate the crowds. They are so small town. They don’t know to stay close to us and the dangers that lie in the big city, even when I try to tell them. I didn’t think they would enjoy it and thus, I would not enjoy it because of the whining and complaining. There were problems with people pushing into the ticketed areas so I think it would have not been pleasant. The crowds were unreal. Lots of problems on the metro which we would have had to ride to get there. One person was struck by a train because they were pushed/fell off the platform. It would have been cool for Bridger and I but we had no babysitter and besides, it was awesome just feeling the excitement that was there in the city. We weren’t able to do much on Tuesday because all the roads were closed and we couldn’t go anywhere.
We did go to a statue called the Awakening that is basically a giant in the sand, that looks like he is waking up. We only got 2 out of the four on the kids list of things they wanted to do. They wanted to go ice skating, swimming, to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (where they make the money), and to the Daughters of the American Revolution Toy Museum. We went ice skating and to the toy museum. We went skating in an outdoor sculpture garden at Smithsonian Gallery of Art on the morning of the day we flew out. There is still a list of things I would like to do back there. It would be fun to go back but not when there are so many visitors to the area. We took the kids on the Metro ( the subway there) and they thought it was SO cool! It is funny what kids enjoy and what they don’t. Bridger said if he did it again that he would do the things the kids wanted first. I sometimes call Corban, George. On the last day, I asked him, “Since I sometimes call you George and since you have been to Washington, can I call you George Washington?” He said, “Sure!” What a funny boy. In his journal on the last day he wrote, "Bye-Bye Washington!" I guess that about sums it up.
The kids did pretty good on the plane. There was always spilled drinks. My kids didn’t really remember the times they have been on an airplane before. They thought it was pretty cool. Daven slept about half the time both ways and he only got to a high squeal rather than a full on cry. He bounced back and forth between me and Bridger pretty much both ways, too. Kjerstin is sometimes a better Mom than me. I had bought the kids each a small bag of M&M’s for the plane. Kjerstin on the other hand had fruit snacks packed and goldfish. She she packed a water bottle for the car ride and I didn’t. She was prepared! I thought for a moment I should be embarrassed. Then I decided I should just be grateful she is my daughter and can be such a help to her poor mother!

No comments:

the cutest blog on the block

Counter

About Me

My photo
We are living in Idaho. We have five wonderful children and many blessings.