Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Presidents Day

We had a great time skiing over the weekend. It is so beautiful to get up in the mountains and have that white counterred by the evergreen of the trees. Bridger is such a good man. He always laughed at himself when he fell. I think I would have been getting frustrated if I was him. But he was skiing for me and wanted me to have a good time. If I did, it was worth it for him. I love him for it. It was fun to go just with him on Saturday and then take the kids yesterday. I started out with Kjerstin, and Bridger had Corban. We didn't make it all the way down the hill with either of them before they were crying and wanting the other parent because they were obviously being picked on. I tried to tell Corban that they were just too frustrated because they were having a hard time skiing and they were trying to blame it on the teacher. It made me ponder if I ever do that in life. I am sure I do. They caught right on. I don't remember skiing that well after my first day of skiing. I had a hard time keeping up with Corban on the last run down the hill. I can't believe my kids have already turned into "those little kids who just bomb it down the hill as fast as they can." I am more conservative and appreciate a slower pace and a bit more control. I did "tweak" my knee a bit. I was trying to make sure Corban got off the ski lift okay. He had jumped off a little prematurely before. Well, because I waited for him to get off I got off a little late and had to jump off the lift. I landed and my ski popped off. I just laughed. I have not had problems like this since I started skiing. Well, I just got up and started skiing again but as the day became evening, I noticed I wasn't moving as nimbly as before. It is a little swollen and I have to baby it a little bit. That is what happens when an old dog tries to teach a young dog a new trick I suppose. I was told by Corban that I will probably be old and have white hair in 5 years of so. He also told a gentleman in front of us on the ski hill that he didn't know that grandpas could ski. What a bucko! He also told me that he thinks he is an expert now. I said, "I don't think you're an expert yet." He said, "Whatever." I laughed at this but it is true that kids are not modest about themselves and their accomplishments. I think as adults we need to give ourselves a little credit; not be prideful, but let ourselves bask in the light a little, so to speak. There were lots of kids up there younger than our kids and younger than Brynna, who I said was too little to go quite yet. Maybe I have underestimated her ability and need to rethink! It was surprising to me that I had as much fun on Monday as I did on Saturday. Despite the initial complaining and the knee tweak, I had a good time. I think that is because when we share something we love, it is always better. Whether it is a good book or a recipe or a favorite store or laugh, it is always better when it is shared with a friend. So share away!

No comments:

the cutest blog on the block

Counter

About Me

My photo
We are living in Idaho. We have five wonderful children and many blessings.