Sunday, September 20, 2009

Some Thoughts

We had stake conference this weekend and I really enjoyed the Saturday night talks. It is usually the only one I get to listen to due to kids. They talked about marriage and child rearing which is exactly where I am so it seemed very applicable. I kept thinking of people I wish were there to hear it as well. Here are my thoughts on it to any who couldn't make it or are interested!
Our stake president talked about benevolence. He quoted a NY Times articles. Here is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/fashion/02love.html?em Basically this woman has been married for 30 years and her husband tells her he doesn’t love her anymore. She says she doesn’t buy it. She sticks by him while he goes through his own difficult times and a wife who sticks by him. It is a good article. Elder Nattress from Fruitland came to our conference. He talked about a scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 52:14: “And again, I will give unto you a pattern in all things, that ye may not be deceived; for Satan is abroad in the land, and he goeth forth deceiving the nations.” He had microphones going around and he asked ways that Satan is tools Satan is using to destroy our homes. Then he showed us a video clip of President Monson. It just talked about some of the people he has served while he has been an apostle. He asked us the pattern that he shows us to help protect our homes. He then quoted a scripture in JSH: 1:59-60 and told us to replace plates with our children: “the same heavenly messenger delivered them up to me with this charge: that I should be responsible for them; that if I should let them go carelessly, or through any neglect of mine, I should be cut off; but that if I would use all my endeavors to preserve them, until he, the messenger, should call for them, they should be protected. I soon found out the reason why I had received such strict charges to keep them safe, and why it was that the messenger had said that when I had done what was required at my hand, he would call for them. For no sooner was it known that I had them, than the most strenuous exertions were used to get them from me. Every stratagem that could be invented was resorted to for that purpose. The persecution became more bitter and severe than before, and multitudes were on the alert continually to get them from me if possible. But by the wisdom of God, they remained safe in my hands, until I had accomplished by them what was required at my hand.” I liked that comparison. We are certainly living in troubled times. He quoted Elder Holland who has said that this is the only war whose victor has been already determined. It is just up to us to decide what side we are going to be on. I hope these thoughts help me stay on the right side and keep my family with me!

No comments:

the cutest blog on the block

Counter

About Me

My photo
We are living in Idaho. We have five wonderful children and many blessings.