This week has been a cultural experience for me. It started Monday. At 9pm, our doorbell rang. We went to the door and found a container of popcorn and candy with a note that said, "Happy May Day!" Bridger went to work on Tuesday (May 1st) and found a mug full of popcorn and candy and note that said, "Happy May Day!" Brynna brought home a bag from school from a friend full of you guessed it... popcorn and candy with a note that said, "Happy May Day." Bridger asked a co-worker about it. I guess in Nebraska May Day is a big deal. Wikipedia says, "May Day was also celebrated by some early European settlers of the American continent. In some parts of the United States, May Baskets are made. These are small baskets usually filled with flowers or treats and left at someone's doorstep. The giver rings the bell and runs away. The person receiving the basket tries to catch the fleeing giver. If they catch the person, a kiss is exchanged." I am glad we didn't catch our mysterious givers! It is so interesting to see the customs of a certain area. I think when I was a kid I danced around the May Pole at school once or twice and that was it!
That evening we were given a light show in the night time sky which has continued every night this week. Bridger then gets up in the morning and checks the internet to see what joys the storm has brought with it that are associated to his job. It is very interesting. The humidity has set in. It is between 70 and 80% humidity and temperatures are in the 80's. I caved in and have been running the A/C non-stop. It is so humid that people mow their lawn here twice a week! I don't know if I can keep up with that!
I also made it to the little tiny grocery store in Gretna. It will do in a pinch but I need to brave Omaha so I don't pay $3.50 for a gallon of milk. I got to help with the Young Women's fundraiser this week. I will teach for the first time next week. I have bookshelves assembled! Now I need to fill them up! That should help eliminate my basement of boxes. I also cleaned (deep cleaned) for the first time). For me, there is nothing like cleaning something that makes it feel more like it is yours. Lucky for me, with 5 kids, it always needs cleaning! I will soon feel so at home that I will need a vacation to Idaho!
Sunday, May 6, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
the cutest blog on the block
Counter
About Me
- Bridger and Cindy
- We are living in Idaho. We have five wonderful children and many blessings.
1 comment:
When I was little in NE Montana we used to make May Day baskets and leave them on my great-grandmother's doorstep.
Post a Comment