Sunday, February 22, 2009
Rain in a Drought
We had an awesome sacrament meeting today. Our former stake president and his wife spoke on relationships. He is a counselor (among other things) by profession and he and his wife have something like 15 kids (some are foster kids). She was Miss Idaho before they got married. They are just neat people. Anyway, she was saying how she believes the scriptures are the best relationship books ever. She gave some examples. She was reading from 3rd Nephi Chapter 11 when Christ visits the Nephites in America after he was resurrected. " And it came to pass that while they were thus conversing one with another, they heard a voice as if it came out of heaven; and they cast their eyes round about, for they understood not the voice which they heard; and it was not a harsh voice, neither was it a loud voice; nevertheless, and notwithstanding it being a small voice it did pierce them that did hear to the center, insomuch that there was no part of their frame that it did not cause to quake; yea, it did pierce them to the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn. And it came to pass that again they heard the voice, and they understood it not. And again the third time they did hear the voice, and did open their ears to hear it; and their eyes were towards the sound thereof; and they did look steadfastly towards heaven, from whence the sound came. " She referenced this by saying that we need to try whispering to our kids when they aren't listening. She joked saying that she has used a voice that has caused her kids to quake but it never is effective. She also said it is okay to repeat yourself, calmly. I don't know how many times I have said "I have already asked you three times to..." I think that was very beneficial for me to hear. When the Nephites heard the voice it said, "Behold my Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." She said our kids and our husbands need to sometimes hear us "bragging" about them to someone else when we think they aren't listening. Later he had the Nephites come and feel the prints from the nails in his hands and the wound in his side. She said that it is important to touch those we love. This message came at the end of a very long week and today has seemed worse as 3 out of 4 of my kids had meltdowns tonight at the same time while Bridger was doing missionary work. I know that the Lord is aware of me and my struggles and sends me the blessings I need. One more thought her husband shared that the Atonement of Christ is there to help us with our adversities as well as our sins. He also said that Christ has his apostles come and touch not his biceps to see how strong or wonderful he was, but his hands that he can touch our lives with. I feel like the Lord has filled me up to continue on in my trek for the next week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
the cutest blog on the block
Counter
About Me
- Bridger and Cindy
- We are living in Idaho. We have five wonderful children and many blessings.
1 comment:
Thank you Cindy for that inspirational post. I needed to hear that, as we too have had a rough few weeks.
Reminders like that are critical for me. I was enjoying a night just holding Emma the other day, and I couldn't remember the last time that I did that! I am going to try and do that more often.
I hope that you're doing well. You are a fantastic woman--and I have many great memories of our time in the mission field together.
Post a Comment