Sunday, April 4, 2010

General Conference and Easter




First of all, I really enjoyed General Conference. I am sure it is probably because I am teaching the marriage and family relations class but I felt so many of the talks were what parents need to be doing better-which is why I think I have the calling because I NEED to do better. Corban is almost ten and my time and influence with him is quickly passing. I need to make sure my kids know that I love them and love to be home and have a testimony of the gospel. I loved Sister Beck's comment how women need to be women and not babies. It is a shocking remark. She is a bold woman! Sometimes I think it would be nice to be a baby, especially when I look at Gideon and he just eats and sleeps and is wrapped up in nice warm blankets. But the Lord has more for me to do!


My kids love conference because it is the only time I make coffee cake. Sweet words of prophets, sweet cake! A time for them to look forward to it with their appetites at the present. I also have a conference afghan that I work on only during conference so I can stay awake. It hasn't made much progress since Bridger and I have been married, maybe two feet in length. It will be a tradition. I love having it draped on my kids keeping them warm and maybe having them associate it with the Comforter as they once again listen to the words of the prophets. Maybe I am not doing so bad with this parenting thing but I have a long ways to go and it is not easy.


Just today, I decided not to do anything for Easter besides just candy to try to preserve the spiritual meaning of it. I had complaints from at least 2 of the 3 children who can talk. I waver between feeling like they are spoiled and I need to be tougher on them and giving in and making them happy because I want them to be happy! It is not easy! And this is a simple matter, nothing as complex as it can get. I am glad I have prophets who guide me and tell me what to do! I hope it one day to not have to be commanded in all things and be doing many things of my own thought process! Eternity is a long time and I'm glad it is because I might need it!


P.S. The photos are of the kids enjoying a conference dogpile(with their Dad's help) and Gideon's version of Easter! As my Mom says every Easter to me, "He is Risen!"


No comments:

the cutest blog on the block

Counter

About Me

My photo
We are living in Idaho. We have five wonderful children and many blessings.