I have been trying to rehabilitate myself to FlyLady lately. She has a website http://www.flylady.com/ if you haven't heard of her and are curious. She basically lays out how to clean your house (including spring cleaning) without having to go on a cleaning spree and kill yourself. I have been reading "Sink Reflections" which she wrote (since I have been nursing and have to have something to do or I will fall asleep) and have liked some of the things she says. I am not really "flying" (as she calls it) yet. I am still working out my system and how it will work for me in my life, but I thought I would share these things I liked.
The first in what she calls "Running on Empty." She asks how many of you have been driving to an appointment or pick up the kids and you notice your gas gauge is on empty but you don't have time to stop and get gas because you are already ten minutes late. I can relate to that. I haven't yet run out of gas-but it makes Corban awfully nervous. He watches the gas gauge more than I do! She then asks how many of us are running on empty. Empty mind (no time to think), empty body (you don't take care of yourself by eating right), and empty of spirit (depressed and feel martyred). You do this until you can't keep going and then you crash and burn and get sick.
She tells you to take care of yourself by getting dressed first thing in the day from head to toe so you look and feel nice (no more wearing sweats or pajamas or exercise clothes because I am going to exercise for half of the day). Then you are ready to take care of others which is what we do as mothers. I haven't got this mastered yet, but I like the concept. She also suggests drinking water, eating regularly, going to bed on time, schedule breaks as you are working, take a bubble bath, etc. I think I can benefit from this.
Also she tells us not to be martyrs thinking we are the only ones cleaning and no one else helps, etc. Basically when mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy. So we need to happily go about doing our jobs and "blessing" (as she calls it) our family and they will catch on. She says if children aren't doing their jobs, take it away from them and give them a job they will enjoy so they can find joy in their work. She says don't expect perfection from them because we can't expect perfection from ourselves! She has a letter from a lady who did this and she said her teenage daughter hugs her and smiles and thanks her AND helps out when she is asked. What she has preserved is the relationship. Both she and her daughter are happy when before they both were grouchy. Attitude is everything. She calls cleaning, "Blessing our home." I have a long way to go but Rome wasn't built in a day!
The first in what she calls "Running on Empty." She asks how many of you have been driving to an appointment or pick up the kids and you notice your gas gauge is on empty but you don't have time to stop and get gas because you are already ten minutes late. I can relate to that. I haven't yet run out of gas-but it makes Corban awfully nervous. He watches the gas gauge more than I do! She then asks how many of us are running on empty. Empty mind (no time to think), empty body (you don't take care of yourself by eating right), and empty of spirit (depressed and feel martyred). You do this until you can't keep going and then you crash and burn and get sick.
She tells you to take care of yourself by getting dressed first thing in the day from head to toe so you look and feel nice (no more wearing sweats or pajamas or exercise clothes because I am going to exercise for half of the day). Then you are ready to take care of others which is what we do as mothers. I haven't got this mastered yet, but I like the concept. She also suggests drinking water, eating regularly, going to bed on time, schedule breaks as you are working, take a bubble bath, etc. I think I can benefit from this.
Also she tells us not to be martyrs thinking we are the only ones cleaning and no one else helps, etc. Basically when mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy. So we need to happily go about doing our jobs and "blessing" (as she calls it) our family and they will catch on. She says if children aren't doing their jobs, take it away from them and give them a job they will enjoy so they can find joy in their work. She says don't expect perfection from them because we can't expect perfection from ourselves! She has a letter from a lady who did this and she said her teenage daughter hugs her and smiles and thanks her AND helps out when she is asked. What she has preserved is the relationship. Both she and her daughter are happy when before they both were grouchy. Attitude is everything. She calls cleaning, "Blessing our home." I have a long way to go but Rome wasn't built in a day!
P.S. Sorry this post is so long. I meant to get it up last week but I never had the book with me and time to go get the book when I was on the computer- see, I need flylady!

No comments:
Post a Comment