One of the people I visit teach is a counselor. She has been trying to get me to go to these Discovery Trainings that her workplace does on relationships. It is about $400 for a 2 day class. Bridger is not excited about spending that much money on it and also it is hard to find time for a 2 hour date much less a 2 day workshop. Well, her employer decided to do 1 free evening class. Bridger already had 2 other commitments for that evening but he rescheduled and went with me. It was very interesting. I think the thing I took away the most was that you have to love a person/situation before a change can occur. I have always thought of it the other way. When you are finally sick of a situation, it is when change comes. They used Sister Hinckley's quote about her first year of marriage: “We loved each other; there was no doubt about that, but we also had to get used to each other. I think every couple has to get used to each other. Early on I realized it would be better if we worked harder to get used to each other than constantly try to change each other." In phases my kids go through that drive me crazy I think the same applies. I have heard that quote before but I never really applied it to all the relationships I have.
It was also very interesting because I realized what an awesome husband I have. We were supposed to be practicing reflective listening where you repeat what you hear the other person say. As we were doing this, I realized Bridger does it all the time. He is really good! I on the other hand, could use a little more practice. I ended up buying Wendy Watson Nelson's book, "Rock Solid Relationships." In it she states that a study of the gospel can answer more relationship questions more than studying relationships. She says like we were immersed in the waters of baptism, we need to immerse ourselves in the scriptures. I really liked that analogy. I am still reading but liking it. It was so nice to have time to work on our relationship even if it isn't broken!
PS To top it off we got to spend 20 hours driving in the car over the weekend talking a good part of the time. Spending time with my husband? Priceless!
Sunday, October 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
the cutest blog on the block
Counter
About Me
- Bridger and Cindy
- We are living in Idaho. We have five wonderful children and many blessings.
No comments:
Post a Comment